A Florida judge revoked the bond of George Zimmerman Friday afternoon and ordered the man charged in the death of unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin to surrender himself within 48 hours, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
Judge Kenneth Lester made his decision after it was revealed that Zimmerman and his wife may have conspired to withhold information about his financial state when his $150,000 bail was set.
Prosecutors filed a motion alleging that Zimmerman failed to mention thousands of dollars the family had accumulated through online donations, as well as failing to disclose that he has a passport separate from the one he was forced to surrender as a condition of his release.
“Defendant has intentionally deceived the court with the assistance of his wife,” the motion says. “During the jail phone calls both of them spoke in code to hide what they were doing.”
Prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda told Lester that Zimmerman’s wife “flat out lied” to the court when she testified in April that the family was financially strapped. It was later revealed that Zimmerman had raised more than $200,000 through an online fund established to help pay for his defense.
That money was not disclosed during the bail hearing, and Lester agreed with the prosecution that Zimmerman and his wife had been dishonest by failing to mention it.
“[Zimmerman] can’t sit back and obtain the benefit of a lower bond based upon those material falsehoods,” the judge said, according to the L.A. Times.
Zimmerman’s attorney Mark O’Mara says the omission of information is just a misunderstanding.
Zimmerman was released from jail on April 23rd after posting a $15,000 bond. Ten percent of the $150,000 bail was required for him to released. He has since been staying out of the spotlight in an undisclosed location.