Don’t know how he’s managed to do it, but Robert Glasper has gone and made an already near perfect track even better. Linking up with former Little Brother groupmates Phonte and 9th Wonder to bring us this remix of one of the smoothest joints from The Robert Glasper Experiment‘s masterful jazz, soul and hip hop hybrid Black Radio.
The pair have taken “Afro Blue”, which didn’t originally include any rapping, and remoulded it in a way that makes for fine late afternoon listening. Neo-soul goddess Erykah Badu continues to swoon gracefully over Glasper’s elegant piano keys but 9th has both added and played with the rhythm section to bring more of a hip hop sound to the forefront. Phonte, for his part, steps in around the two minute mark and offers a lucid, romantic verse, along the lines of one of his most recent love-songs. All the composite parts fit beautifully.
The “Afro Blue” remix serves as the first track from Robert Glasper’s Black Radio Recovered EP, a project which will also see Pete Rock, The Roots and Black Milk re-imagine Glasper’s exquisite album. The remaining five tracks should appear online this coming week.
Robert Glasper Experiment – Black Radio Recovered (Remix EP) Tracklist
1. Afro Blue ft. Erykah Badu (9th Wonder’s Blue Light Basement Remix feat. Phonte)
2. Black Radio ft. yasiin bey (Pete Rock Remix)
3. The Consequences of Jealousy ft. Meshell Ndegeocello
(Georgia Anne Muldrow’s Sassy Geemix)
4. Twice (?uestlove’s Twice Baked Remix feat. Solange Knowles & The Roots)
5. Letter to Hermione ft. Bilal (Robert Glasper and Jewels Remix feat. Black Milk)
6. Dillatude #2